“I love science because the biology explores many different ethical issues” – Codie Freeman Yr11
“I love science because it is more than meets the eye” – Jeric Varughese Yr11
“I love science because it teaches you about Yourself, the Earth & the Universe” – Thomas LLewellyn Yr11
“Science is a very fun lesson because you learn a lot about the world and it makes you see the outside world in a different way” – Connor Dickenson Yr11
“In Science lesson I enjoy experiments” – Kaitlin Ducklin Yr7
“I really like science because of the experiments and when we learn about our bodies” – Georgina Hughes Yr7
“I really like science because you get to do lots of interesting and educational things” – Lucy Morren Yr7
“I like science because my teacher is a good scientist and helps us if we are stuck” – Rayann Cossins Yr7
“I like science because we do lots of practicals. We get to use microscopes, Bunsen burners and chemicals” – William LLewellyn Yr7
“Science lessons are awesome because we can do fun experiments like making goo” – Riley Johnson Yr7
Science has changed our lives and is vital to the world’s future prosperity. In Science lessons, we nourish student’s passion for our subject so that they develop a sense of excitement and curiosity about natural phenomena and are able to recognise the power of rational scientific explanations of the world around them.
In KS3, student follow the AQA Science syllabus which lays the foundations studying GCSE Science
The course is broken down into 10 BIG idea headings: Forces, Electromagnetism, Energy, Waves, Matter, Reactions, Earth, Organisms, Ecosystems and Genes. Each BIG idea contains four smaller topics: the building blocks for the BIG ideas.
During KS3, students develop an understanding of a big idea by multiple interactions with the key concepts within the idea. For example ‘Waves’, topics are ordered from simpler, more concrete topics ‘Light’ and ‘Sound’, to more abstract ones ‘Wave properties’ and ‘Wave effects’.
In KS4 Yr 9 & Yr10 students are following AQA GCSE Science programmes; students will either follow the GCSE Combined (Trilogy) course or GCSE Biology & GCSE Chemistry & GCSE Physics. These courses are divided into separate Biology, Chemistry & Physics topics.
Final Assessment is through separate exams in Biology, Chemistry & Physics. The is no coursework element but students are required to complete a number of practical activities within lessons. Skills and knowledge gained from these practical activities are assessed as part of the written exams.
In KS4 Yr 11 students are following AQA GCSE Science programmes; students will either follow GCSE Science and GCSE Additional Science course or GCSE Biology & GCSE Chemistry & GCSE Physics.
These courses are divided into separate Biology, Chemistry & Physics topics.
Final Assessment is through exams in Biology, Chemistry & Physics which contribute 75% of the final grade; the remaining 25% is through Investigative Skills Assessment (ISA) carried in class.
Current Year 11 GCSE Science
Year 9 & 10 GCSE Science (new specification)
Thursday – KS3 Science Club
Thursday – Yr11 Biology Revision
Thursday – Yr11 Chemistry Revision
Thursday – Yr11 Physics Revision
Friday – KS4 Science “Catch-up”
Science can be seen as the search for meaning and purpose in universe and therefore study science helps students develop their spirituality through developing a greater understanding of their place in the universe.
Topic covered in both KS3 & KS4 this term offer moral social and cultural challenges; students in Yr7 consider the implications of hip replacements on public finances, students in Yr8 consider the implications of car design on global warming and road safety, Yr9 consider the implications of using stem cells to fight disease, students in Yr10 consider the implications on society of the MMR vaccine, students in Yr11 consider how humans are effecting biodiversity and the effect this has on people across the globe.